TIPS FOR YOUR TRIP TO PERU
The currency in Peru is El Sol (PEN)
1 PEN = 0.30 USD / 1USD = 3.21 PEN
1 PEN = 0.25 EUR / 1EUR = 3.97 PEN
USD bills as well as major credit cards are widely accepted in Peru.
Perú is 5 hours behind Greenwich Mean Time (GMT)
Electric power in Lima is 220 volts Plugs utilized are:
AIR TRAVEL DEPARTURE
- International flights: You are advised to be at the airport at least 3 hours before flight departure.
- National flights; You are advised to be at the airport at least 2 hours before flight departure.
- Is located ar sea level, the temparatures in May range from 17-27°C (63-84°F).
- We recommend you to bring light clothes, short-sleeved shirts, thin sweaters.
- The airport in Lima does have ATMs where you can get both Peruvian cash and US dollars.
- The climate of Cusco is different from Lima, we recommend wearing light clothes in the mornings, sunscreen and hats; while in the evening warm coats.
- The altitude in the city of Cusco is 3399 meters or 11,152 feet.
- This high altitude can cause altitude sickness that is the result of diminishing amount of oxygen in our body’s tissues. At a higher altitude there is less atmospheric pressure, this causes the oxygen concentration in the air we breathe to be diminished.
- When you arrive in Cusco, it is highly recommended to rest for 6 hours while the body is “acclimated”. Walk slowly and do not make efforts.
What are the symptoms of altitude sickness – “soroche”?
– Headache, most of the time frontal.
– Body malaise.
What to do if you have altitude sickenss – “soroche”?
– Take hot coca tea is used for altitude sickness, in Cusco it is a typical drink.
– Try to remain warm with a blanket, avoiding heat to escape from your body.
– Remain calm and breathe deeply and slow.
– Ask for help, if necessary.
- The altitude in Machu Picchu is lower than Cusco. If you are visiting Machu Picchu while in Peru, please be aware that the site often experiences fog and rain showers. Keep this in mind when planning clothing for your excursion.
- There are three levels to climb at Machu Picchu therefore, good footwear such as sneakers or hiking boots are recommended.
- Remember to bring a cap, sunglasses, sunscreen and especially your camera. It’s a wonderful experience!
Considerations before traveling: Health notes
- Those who are limiting their visit to Lime, Cusco and Macchu Picchu do not need to get a yellow fever vaccine. For summary and recommendations, please visit the following link: https://redplanet.travel/mdtravelhealth/destinations/peru
Please, that according 10th World Potato Congress – XXVIII Congreso de la Asociación Latinoamericana de la Papa policies, participants are required to have health and accidentes insurance coverage during the Congress. Congress will not asumme any financial or legal responsability realted to health issues or accidents within out premises.